- 1,220,580 Iraqis killed since the invasion. Almost one in two households in Baghdad have lost a family member.
- Over 170 UK troops and over 3,900 US troops killed.
- Global military spending for 2007- $1.2 trillion
- The UK spent £7.44 billion and the Ministry of Defence estimates that the cost of war and occupation in Iraq between 2002 and 2006 was £5.17 billion.
- Baghdad - 8 hours of electricity supply a day. Only a third of the city is connected to water mains. Life expectancy in Afghanistan - 46 years.
- No to all imperialist wars and occupations.
- For the immediate withdrawal of the troops from Iraq and Afghanistan!
- For an immediate and drastic cut in military spending worldwide.
- A global campaign against nuclear, chemical and biological weapons.
- For the right of the Iraqi and Afghan people to determine their own future.
- For a new mass party for working people in Britain - a powerful ally for the anti-war movement.
- For workers' unity and socialist internationalism!
Donate to the Socialist Party
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- We must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to donate to our Fighting Fund.
In The Socialist 20 February 2008:
No wage cuts! Fund equal pay
Troops out of Iraq now!
Socialist Party news
Stop the witch-hunt: Defend the Sheridan 7
Prison officers fight Labour's strike ban
Battle for Shropshire schools goes on
Coventry protests at Widdecombe's attacks
Football: Top of the League for greed
Socialist Party Marxist analysis
Northern Rock - Labour's reluctant nationalisation
1918-2008: Clause 4 and nine decades of workers' struggles
Record fall in home ownership
Socialist Party NHS campaign
London's health care under further attack
Private clinics fail
Hospitals "stacking" patients
Fighting back and building a demo
"Not making sufficient profit"
Universities in crisis: Fees favour the rich
Exeter students fight privatisation
Nottingham defends democracy
International socialist news and analysis
Kosovan independence - a dangerous mirage?
Greece: Second general strike in two months
CWI school in Latin America
Socialist Party review
Science, Marxism and the big bang
Socialist Party workplace news
It's official - Unison launches witch-hunt on Socialist Party
Socialist gains in Unison branch elections
Collection cuts and bullying equals bin strike!
Victory for council street wardens
Workplace news in brief
Rail pension dispute
Union merger: OILC and RMT
Marching against single status
Solidarity with Pakistan workers
The Socialist 20 February 2008 |
Join the Socialist