Link to this page: https://archive.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/521/3819
The Socialist 21 February 2008 |
Join the Socialist
Troops out of Iraq now!
Five years since the invasion
Called by Stop the War Coalition, CND and BMI
Saturday 15 March, Assemble 12 noon, Trafalgar Square, London
- 1,220,580 Iraqis killed since the invasion. Almost one in two households in Baghdad have lost a family member.
- Over 170 UK troops and over 3,900 US troops killed.
- Global military spending for 2007- $1.2 trillion
- The UK spent £7.44 billion and the Ministry of Defence estimates that the cost of war and occupation in Iraq between 2002 and 2006 was £5.17 billion.
- Baghdad - 8 hours of electricity supply a day. Only a third of the city is connected to water mains. Life expectancy in Afghanistan - 46 years.
- No to all imperialist wars and occupations.
- For the immediate withdrawal of the troops from Iraq and Afghanistan!
- For an immediate and drastic cut in military spending worldwide.
- A global campaign against nuclear, chemical and biological weapons.
- For the right of the Iraqi and Afghan people to determine their own future.
- For a new mass party for working people in Britain - a powerful ally for the anti-war movement.
- For workers' unity and socialist internationalism!